Five surprising ways that therapeutic massage can benefit one’s health
Mar 8, 2012
According to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA), 2011, roughly 48 million adult Americans (18 percent) had a massage at least once between July 2009 and July 2010, and the lion’s share of Americans are getting massages for medical or health reasons and pain relief, versus a massage just to relax.
Elements Therapeutic Massage at Casa Paloma in the Chandler/Ahwatukee area has a mission is to help consumers develop a massage regimen to treat their unique health issues and ailments.
Five surprising ways that therapeutic massage can benefit one’s health:
- Aid in weight-loss - Massage improves circulation and the supply of nutrients to the muscles. After muscles are exercised, vital nutrients must be supplied to them so that they can recover and rebuild themselves. Massage maximizes the supply of these nutrients and oxygen through increased blood flow, which helps the muscles grow and burn more calories.
- Prevent and treat injury and enhancing athletic performance - Sports massage is designed mostly for pre- or post-sports event work; the techniques the therapist uses to apply pressure to the body move at a faster pace when compared to Swedish massage. Aided stretching is also a common sport massage technique, and it’s used to help get the lactic acid buildup in the muscles to dissipate.
- Improve quality of life for seniors - Massage can provide relief from various types of muscle tension and overall discomfort for seniors who are still very active as well as those who are living with limiting conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure.
- Decrease swelling and ease physical and emotional stresses associated with pregnancy - Prenatal massage included specific modifications used to help protect the baby, relieve symptoms like edema (swelling) and low back pain that are common during pregnancy.
- Boost immunity - Massage helps with the flow of the lymphatic system which helps to decrease levels of the stress hormone cortisol and increase lymphocytes which play a large role in defending the body from disease.