Check yourself on these 10 categories:
1. Breathing – do you catch yourself holding your breath?
2. Body Awareness – can you notice if you’re tightly gripping your phone?
3. Uncomfortable sensation, pain or emotion – do you listen to it versus ignore your body or numb yourself?
4. Negative thoughts about your body – do tear yourself down or build yourself up?
5. Body language – do you notice when your mouth is saying one thing and your body is communicating something else like saying "I'm fine," but feel your jaw gripping tightly?
6. Decision- making – do they come from the gut and heart not just your brain?
7. Posture - do you self-correct when driving, sitting at a desk, or eating a meal?
8. Emotions – do you share with people close to you versus stuffing unexpressed emotions in your body?
9. Physical activity – do you do it -set aside at least 30 minutes a day to move - or just think about it?
10. Dealing with Stress – do you have strategies to cope with stressful situations even just daily life?
Use this as a gentle wake-up call to connect with your body more. Here are a few tips to start you on a better mind body connection.
Spot-check your breathing. This begins an integrative conversation between your mind and body.
Unplug for three minutes -focus 100% on your body. Notice any sensations, any tension or gripping.
Stay cognizant of your movements- notice the pace at which you move - how you get into and out of your car, or stand up and sit down at your desk.
You will be happy you did, as you'll notice positive changes in your health, relationships and work. You'll be moving through the world as a body intelligent person.