Can stress kill you? Watch this video and see quick 3-minute summary of its effects, and see the role of oxytocin in your body's way of coping with stress. And guess what? We know that massage reduces stress. As it turns out, it massage increases oxytocin levels in the body.
So... Did you catch that?
Oxytocin decreases the body's negative physiological responses to stress. And oxytocin increases with social interaction.
Would it surprise you to learn that research on the physiological effects of massage has proven that massage increases oxytocin levels and that this in turn reduces stress and other negative physiological effects of stress?
- Massage increases oxytocin and reduces adrenocorticotropin hormone in humans. (PubMed); (Alternative Therapies)
- Oxytocin: The Hormone of Peace and Trust (Institute for Integrative Healthcare)
- The Oxytocin cure: Will Oxytocin cure shyness, autism, and other disorders? (Psychology Today)
- Multiple effects of oxytocin on humans, research by Zach, Beavin, et al. (Center for Neuroeconomics Studies)
- Regimens: Massage Benefits Are More Than Skin Deep (New York Times)