Historically, massage has been associated with relaxation and pain relief, but it is increasingly becoming associated with wellness. 88% of respondents to a 2016 consumer survey indicated that they consider massage to be beneficial to health and wellness. Consumers said that preventing illness or injury, managing stress, and improving quality of life are some of the wellness benefits they attribute to massage.
A growing body of research supports this view. Regular massage can play an important role in your health and fitness regimen. Following are five ways that regular massage can improve your health.
1. Reduce stress – Stress has long-term effects and takes a toll on both emotional and physical health. Massage therapy can help relieve stress as well as conditions that go along with stress, such as tension headaches.
2. Get better sleep – Research has shown massage to be effective at promoting sleep for individuals with insomnia. Even if you don’t have insomnia, massage promotes relaxation, improves circulation and relieves stress – all contributors to better sleep.
3. Boost mental health and wellness – Stress, anxiety and depression are all associated with mental health. Research indicates that massage therapy can have a direct effect on improving these symptoms.
4. Manage pain – Pain negatively affects quality of life. It can also impede recovery from illness and injury. The benefits of massage therapy for the relief of pain are supported by research. Regular massage is also effective at keeping complaints in check from common ailments such as low-back pain, headaches, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and more.
5. Increase range of motion – Whether you’re an athlete, a weekend sports enthusiast, or a busy do-it-yourselfer, regular massage can help improve your performance at whatever you do. It can help reduce muscle tension, increase flexibility and range of motion, and reduce your risk of injury.
Each professional therapist at Elements Massage has the training required to not only treat your pain and injuries but to boost your health. Ask us about incorporating a program of regular massage into your wellness regimen, designed to keep you at your best.