It can be easy to let work and life take control of every waking minute, causing stress, anxiety and other conditions that are not-so-good for your health. Relaxation in the form of taking some time for yourself, to rest, get a massage, listen to soothing music, read a book, and other calming activities is very important.
So important, in fact, that we’ve compiled the top health benefits of relaxation:
- Protects Your Heart Health: High blood pressure as a result of stress and anxiety can increase your risk of heart problems and even heart attacks. When you take time to relax, you can lower your blood pressure and improve your heart health.
- Boost Your Immune Health: When you are under chronic stress for more than a month, your risk of catching cold and other viruses increases. By taking time to reduce your stress by way of relaxation – such as regular massage sessions – you can give your immune system extra protection against viruses.
- Improves Your Mental Health: Did you know that relaxing can improve your memory? In addition, it benefits your cognitive analysis, ability to learn, decision-making skills, and abstract thought patterns. Relaxing regularly helps to make you happier, too! Chronic stress will hurt all of these things by impairing the part of the brain that deals with them – the prefrontal cortex.
- Benefits Your Nutrition Health: When you are stressed from work or life, you tend to make less-beneficial decisions with your diet, such as consuming comfort foods, fast foods, alcohol, etc. Individuals under high stress experience higher cortisol levels, which increase your appetite and stimulate your cravings for junk food. Just think: If you relaxed every so often, you might make better diet decisions and lose a few pounds!
- Supports Your Sexual Health: Men and women both struggle from low libido on account of stress or anxiety. With regular relief from stress, due to me-time or massages, you will most likely find that you are ‘in the mood’ more often, thus benefiting the sexual health in your relationship with your partner.
Contact Elements Massage of Bellevue to schedule your regular massage appointment, and begin your Wellness Program!
Featured photo from Flickr user visit-fingerlakes.