Massage therapy is too often perceived as just a luxury, but it can play an important role in a health regimen. Here are five ways massage therapy can improve your health and wellness.
- Lower stress. The longterm effects of stress can take emotional and physical tolls. Massage therapy is proven to relieve stress and conditions associated with it, such as tension headaches.
- Increase immune function. Medical research indicates that massage therapy can help boost immune system strength by increasing the activity level of the body’s natural "killer T cells,” which fight off viruses.
- Boost mental health and wellness. Research suggests that symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression (all associated with mental health) may be directly affected with massage therapy.
- Manage pain. Pain can negatively affect a person’s quality of life and impede recovery from illness or injury. Recent findings highlight the role of massage in pain management.
- Improve physical fitness. Elite and recreational athletes alike can benefit from regular massage therapy—massage is proven to reduce muscle tension, improve exercise performance and prevent injuries.