Reduce Cortisol and Stress with Therapeutic Massage!
Elements Massage Paradise Valley Mar 3, 2014
Cortisol is a hormone secreted by your adrenal glands that plays many important roles in how your body works. From regulating your blood pressure, releasing insulin for blood sugar maintenance, and playing a key role in immune system functionality, to controlling inflammation in your body and regulating glucose for your metabolism, cortisol and its production is pivotal to how you feel on a daily basis.
It is also known as the stress hormone, since production of cortisol increases under duress. Prolonged high levels of cortisol in the bloodstream can have many negative effects on your body that are detrimental to your health. That’s why it’s important to regulate your cortisol levels and encourage your body’s relaxation response. Several of the negative effects are:
- Decreased bone density
- Blood sugar difficulties
- Suppressed thyroid functions
- Impaired cognitive performance
- Decreased muscle tissue
- Lowered immune functions
- Slower healing times
- Increased accumulation of belly fat
Massage is a great way to achieve this balance. By receiving pleasant pressure and muscle manipulation during a massage session, your body secretes good hormones to help combat the production of negative hormones that you release on a daily basis. The good hormones are:
- Dopamine – A neurotransmitter that helps control your brain’s reward and pleasure center. It enables you to feel good and helps to improve your brain function.
- Serotonin – A general mood-enhancing hormone that helps regulate appetite, sleep, memory, learning, and behavior.
- Oxytocin – Otherwise known as the love hormone, it’s an important neurotransmitter in the brain that produces feelings of love and bonding.
In addition to ensuring that your cortisol levels reduce, therapeutic massage can boost your good hormones to contribute to an overall feeling of health and wellness as you go about your daily life. Its time to de-stress now! Contact Elements Massage Paradise Valley to book your "cortisol lowering" massage at 480-483-1123 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.