The short answer is yes! About 5 million Americans have fibromyalgia. Every one of those people experiences it differently, but all people with fibromyalgia encounter some type of pain and/or tenderness. Many people have found that massage for fibromyalgia helps to alleviate symptoms. Here are some of the benefits.
- Increase in serotonin levels
- Decrease in stress hormones
- Decrease in levels of substance P (a pain messenger in your body)
- Decrease in tender point pain
- Better sleep
- Improved overall sense of well-being
If you or someone you know struggles with pain from fibromyalgia, try massage to promote relaxation, get better sleep, and improve your mood. When used in conjunction with your primary treatment plan massage therapy can have a significant impact!