We have two small children and both of us work outside the home, so we are always looking for quick and easy ways to eat healthy. We found this idea a couple of years ago on a food blog and it has become a staple in our house.
It is very simple. All you need is a mason jar, lid and whatever you like to put in a salad.
- Layer 1 should be your dressing. Many times we use a smaller mason jar to put the dressing on the side. That way if your jar tips over you won't mix stuff before you are ready. But if you want to keep it to one container be sure to put the dressing in first.
- Layer 2 is the hearty vegetables, the ones that will do well sitting in dressing for an extended period of time-tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc...
- Layer 3 is for the less hearty stuff-beans, cucumbers, avocado. The stuff you don't' want sitting directly in the dressing. If you use avocado it is always a good idea to squirt some lemon juice on it to keep it from turning brown.
- Layer 4 is where you can put your croutons or pasta.
- Layer 5 is for the cheese. This is also where you can add meat for a little extra protein in your salad.
- Layer 6 is for the lettuce. You can cram a ton of lettuce in this layer if you want. It is amazing how big a salad can be coming out of a jar.
All of these are just suggestions and there are no hard and fast rules about how you have to put these together, other than the dressing needs to go on the bottom and stay separate from the lettuce.
We will make a weeks worth of these on Sunday night or Monday morning and just stick them in the fridge.
If you have any great tips or tricks on jar salads, or any healthy meal idea, please share them with us.