Many of our clients want to know more about our talented team of massage therapists. In fact, they’re curious about the various paths that our colleagues have taken to become the experts that they are. With rich experiences in various areas of life, our group at Elements Gilbert is one of a kind, dedicated to expressing the positive values of caring for the wellbeing of others through the powers of massage. To help illuminate what it takes to pursue a career in massage therapy, here’s a handy list of the key steps involved:
● The field offers great flexibility in regards to work hours, choice of practice, and types of massages performed so it’s a great fit for independent and creative minds dedicated to the art of healing through the application of pressure and touch.
● With over 300 accredited massage therapy institutions in the U.S, there are a wide range of training programs to select from. It is becoming more common for therapists to study anatomy and physiology in a post-secondary capacity although not necessary as many programs accept a high school diploma.
● Upon completing a training program, a massage therapist must obtain a license from the state or municipality that regulates massage. In most cases, this requires passing the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Exam otherwise referred to as MBLEx.
● Additional board certification, a higher level of achievement beyond the MBLEx licensure, is the highest voluntary credential available and is obtained through the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB).
● Specialization in different modalities is usually pursued during continuing education and advanced field coursework. This includes areas like Trigger Point, Sports Massage, Swedish Massage, Reflexology and more.
Meet our current team and find out more about our healing philosphy here! We can’t wait to harness the benefits of massage for you.