Get the most out of your massage by following these simple tips:
- Speak up! At restaurants, we’re quick to request dressing on the side. At the drycleaners, we’re not afraid to ask for extra starch. Yet when it comes to receiving a customized massage, many consumers are hesitant to ask for what they want. It’s essential to clearly communicate your goals, so don’t be afraid to tell a massage therapist to spend more time on a certain area, or to alter their technique to be more gentle or firm.
- Undress to your comfort level: The customer has free range to undress as much, or as little, as he/she likes. Modesty is always accepted, so if you feel most comfortable in shorts and a T-shirt, wear it!
- Talk….or Don’t: You can chit chat during the treatment or be still, as you choose. The massage therapist will follow your lead.
- Rehydrate: Even though you’re laying still while receiving a massage, your muscles are being worked and they need to recharge. Always drink plenty of water following a massage. An hour-long massage works your muscles similar to that of an hour spent at the gym.
- Tip Appropriately: The general rule of thumb is to tip 15 to 25 percent. If using a coupon or packaged deal, tip on the original price of the massage.