Elements Massage Scottsdale Promenade May 27, 2014
Whether it’s at home, at work or at school, there are always things to get done. In theory, getting things done as they come up sounds incredibly simple – start the paper when it’s assigned, write up the report when your boss asks, fix the creaking door when you notice it. But we all know that theory and practice are two entirely different things. In fact, staying focused and completing tasks is something that lots of Americans are struggling with as procrastination becomes a more apparent problem. Here are some tips for managing all those things hovering over your head that make you want to just ignore them and watch television.
1. Make a list of all the things you need to get done in the next few days: assignments, projects, and social engagements – everything should get written down on a list. Being able to visualize what needs to be completed is a good way to clear your mind and start to make a plan for approaching the tasks. Which leads us to the second tip...
2. Prioritize your list. What needs to be done right away, and what can wait until later in the day or even week? Organizing the “to-do” list will help you make sure that nothing falls through the cracks as your list keeps evolving as the week goes by.
3. Break down any major, overwhelming projects into smaller pieces. A twenty page paper or large presentation can leave struggling with where to start, which can make it tempting to just ignore. By separating it out into smaller steps, it won’t seem nearly as overwhelming.
4. Minimize your distractions when you sit down to complete something on your list. Close windows with social media, put your phone to the side for a while – if you focus on getting it done and nothing else, then it will likely get done faster than if you’re trying to do four things at once.
5. Make sure you cross things off as you complete them, so you can see things getting done. It’s incredibly rewarding!
6. Make sure to schedule in some down time. With all those other things going on in your life, it can be easy to leave self-care by the wayside, but taking time for yourself is what’s going to keep you going at work, school, and home.
Try setting aside an hour to read or go for a walk. Even better would be treating yourself to a session of therapeutic massage. Not only is it an hour of no distractions and just relaxation, but it will help reduce stress and other aches and pains that can be hampering your ability to focus and get things done!
Elements Massage Scottsdale Promenade: 480.998.2120