10 Tips for Having a Great Massage Experience Every Time
Emily Allison Jul 15, 2016
Not all massages are created equal—and not all massage experiences are as good as others. And while sometimes the quality of your experience can depend on factors outside of your control, there are certain things you can do in advance to prepare for your massage and help you have the best experience possible.
- Determine your goal. Do you want to relax? Are you injured? Stressed? Are you full of knots? What do want to accomplish? Deciding this in advance will help you communicate with your massage therapist and keep you both on the same page about your goals.
- Choose your therapist intentionally. Talk to the front desk about what you want and ask about the therapist that would be the best fit. At Elements Massage Franklin, our therapists are listed on our website: do some research to choose the therapist that best meets your needs!
- Have a conversation with your therapist before your session starts. Do not be afraid to speak up and communicate so that you and the therapist are on the same page before they start the session—this will help you get everything you want out of your time.
- Arrive early so you can get in the right mood and decompress before your appointment. This not only helps your appointment start and end on time, but also helps you to get in the right head space to truly be able to relax.
- Leave your phone in the car. Your massage is a time to tune out all of the stress of your daily life. Unless it is an extreme circumstance, whatever it is can wait until after you are done investing the time in yourself.
- Drink plenty water before and after the session. This will help with circulation and reduce the chances of any soreness after your massage.
- Remember to breathe deeply. Sometimes it can be tempting to clench your jaw or hold your breath during your massage. Try consciously deepening your breath and see how it feels.
- Do not be hesitant to give feedback during your session. Let the therapist know if the pressure is too hard, too light, or if there are any specific areas you need them to focus on or leave alone.
- Ask to have the room adjusted to your comfort level. At Elements Massage Franklin, the table warmer, lights, and volume of music are all adjustable to suit your preferences and make you the most comfortable.
- Try to schedule some extra time to relax after your massage. If at all possible, schedule your massage so that you do not have to rush out and be somewhere immediately after the session. Drink a tall glass of water, maybe grab a coffee and sit down at a local shop, and spend some time decompressing before you return to your daily routine.
Follow these 10 tips, and your massage experience will be great every time. To schedule your next massage at Elements Massage Franklin, give us a call at (615) 771-0003 or visit us online at www.elementsmassage.com/franklin to learn more!