A woman’s body undergoes many changes during pregnancy. From emotional fluctuations including excitement to nervousness to physical changes including exhaustion, hormone changes, and body aches, pregnancy is a unique period of life. One way to help address these changes is by harnessing the powers of prenatal massage.
There are several different types of massage modalities that involve specific techniques to address the pregnant body. From Swedish to cranio-sacral, reflexology to hot stones, talk opening with your massage therapist about what you are experiencing and together, you can craft the right type of massage for your individual needs. Also, it’s always recommended to clear any alternative treatment plans with your doctor to ensure that the best course of action is taken for both mom-to-be and baby.
Expected benefits from a prenatal massage include:
- Diminish sciatic pain that can develop with pregnancy
- Reduce muscle aches and pains, especially in the lower back area and shoulder area from weight gain
- Boost circulation and reduces swelling of face, ankles, hands and feet
- Helps induce better quality sleep
- Can alleviate symptoms of anxiety, depression, and stress
- Promotes production of feel-good hormones including dopamine and serotonin
- Can address muscle knots and areas of tension
At our studio, a typical prenatal massage appointment runs 90-minutes. The mother-to-be is comfortably placed on a massage table bolstered by pillows for support. The massage therapist will drape her with a clean sheet in a lowly lit room with light music to induce relaxation. Throughout a massage, our trained massage therapist will check in continuously to ensure that pressure and the application of movement feel good.
As an excellent tool to induce a calm and centered state of mind, regular prenatal massage can stoke the important mind and body connection during this unique period of life!