Oh, My Aching Back!
Elements Massage in Seattle / Crown Hill Mar 6, 2013
More than 100 million Americans suffer from lower-back pain, and nearly 25 billion dollars is spent in search of back-pain relief annually. A 2003 study shows that massage therapy produces better results and reduces the need for painkillers by 36 percent when compared to other therapies, including acupuncture and spinal manipulations*.
Therapeutic massage at Elements Massage in North Seattle can, indeed, be an effective way to ease the pain from a wide variety of spinal conditions, including: muscle tension, spasms, inflammation, aches, stiffness, and pain. Our skilled Elements massage therapists will knead, rub, and manipulate the affected muscles to increase blood flow (circulation) throughout the body. This will deliver oxygen and nutrients to the muscles and helps eliminate any acids or other waste products that have accumulated in the affected area. The outcome is pain relief.
Here are some tips on how to massage away that back pain:
- Make sure the massage therapist you use for your back pain is a Licensed Massage Practitioner (LMP) – don’t worry, all Elements Massage Therapists in Seattle are LMPs. Washington State has rigorous requirements including continuing education throughout an LMP’s career.
- For acute pack pain, request a deep tissue massage, but be prepared for a strong massage designed to liberate muscle fiber and detoxify the muscle tissue. There may be a slight level of discomfort, but it should not feel too uncomfortable. The therapist should check in with you during the treatment to determine if the pressure it right, “Should I go deeper, stay at the same level or go somewhat lighter?”
- Try a massage that alternates hot and cold treatments to alleviate back pain caused by sprains.
- A hot stone massage at Elements in Seattle can be very effective as the stones transfer heat into your body, dramatically increasing circulation and detoxification, loosening connective tissue, and allowing the therapist to work more effectively.
- For a quick and temporary fix, look at investing in a hand-held home massager to take away minor pain. This will not provide all the benefits of a professional massage therapist but it will help you in a pinch until you can book an appointment at Elements Massage in North Seattle.
Always remember, not all types of massage are appropriate for all types of back pain. A deep tissue massage is potentially not a good idea for someone suffering from rheumatoid arthritis or other degenerative diseases; however, a lighter touch massage would be appropriate. Be sure to always discuss the techniques to be used by the massage therapist before beginning the massage session. If you have acute back pains, you should also consult your physician before beginning any massage therapy program.
At Elements Therapeutic Massage in North Seattle, our therapeutic massage approach is designed to match you with the therapist and the specific technique that’s best for your unique health and wellness situation. We use a proprietary numbering system that indicates the level of work a therapist does, which is very important when dealing with back pain. Find us at elementsmassage.com/northseattle.
*Annals of Internal Medicine, June 2003
Share your thoughts, leave a comment!
The Elements Way.®
Therapeutic, handcrafted, and personalized massage.
Our Studio Location
Hours of Operation
Mon - Sun 9am - 9pm
Open every day except 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
Limited hours on Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.