Ask A Therapist! I'm pregnant...what should I know about receiving massage?
Heather Jul 9, 2013
Massage during pregnancy is how many women deal with the usual aches and pains that occur during this special time. But there are a few things to keep in mind when seeking a massage while you are pregnant.
- Many Massage Therapists won't see you during you first trimester. Many miscarriages occur during this time and your Massage Therapist does not want the increased strain on your cardiovascular system to be the cause.
- Many massage therapists will ask for a note from a doctor before they give you a massage after the first trimester. This is because there are many conditions that make massage undesirable during this time. A good massage therapist will make sure to cover all the bases to keep you safe and secure during your massage. When in doubt ask your doctor if massage is right for you.
- When making an appointment, ask your massage therapist if they have experience in prenatal massage. This will indicate whether or not they have received training in the safety and well-being of both mother and baby.
- Some massage therapists have what is called a 'pregnancy pillow' so the pregnant woman is cradled enough to still be comfortable lying on their stomach. Some achieve this same position with a prenatal table – a table with a cutout for the belly that is supported below. Some prefer to do their massages with the woman lying on her side, propped up by pillows. Be sure to ask your therapist which option she provides. It will help with your decision-making process.
- Foot massage during this time is heavenly.
Pregnancy is hard on the body. Massage during this special time will help to ease the aches and pains that come with the shifts in the body's delicate systems.
There is stress enough during this time, why not do something for yourself and your sanity?
Share your thoughts, leave a comment!
The Elements Way.®
Therapeutic, handcrafted, and personalized massage.
Our Studio Location
Hours of Operation
Mon - Sat 9am - 9pm
Sun 9am - 7pm