Your Desk Job Might be Hurting Your Body
Elements Massage Chandler Village Nov 25, 2013
The eight-hour day has changed significantly for working people in the last ten years. We have gone from standing on the shop floor or tilling the fields, to sitting at a desk in front of a computer screen. While the advancement in more creative industries like web design and IT have led to more thought provoking professions, the longer hours spent in a chair have also led to more stress related injuries. The problem is that the human body is not designed to stay in one position for long periods of time. Our mechanics as well as metabolic functions rely on the regular movement of muscles and joints. In the seated position especially, the increased stress placed upon the muscles of the forearms and lower back can have many a varied health effects. According to a study cited by the Mayo Clinic, people who spent more than four hours a day at a desk had:
- 50% increased risk of death from any cause.
- 125% increased risk of adverse health effects associated with cardiovascular disease.
- A link to potential obesity.
- A probability of high blood pressure.
- A probability of high blood sugar.
- Potential excess body fat.
- Abnormal cholesterol levels.
It turns out that going to the gym after work is not quite enough to reverse these negative effects. Instead, health professionals recommend that you make a point of moving around more and sitting less. Try incorporating some brief periods of standing into your daily desk job routine. Some ideas might be:
- Standing up when you take phone calls.
- Standing up for coffee and water breaks rather than taking them in your seat.
- Park as far away from the front office door as you can so you have to do a little work to get to your desk.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
Regular and frequent massage therapy from Elements Massage in Chandler Village can be another great way to incorporate movement into your lifestyle and can even help with the inevitable ache and pains associated with being at a desk all day. Whatever you have to do, try getting off your butt whenever you can. It might just save your life.
Elements Massage Chandler Village: (480) 917-4880