Swedish or Deep Tissue Massage: Which is Right for You?
Kay Reynolds/Yahoo Contributing Network May 15, 2006 Jan 23, 2014
Reasons to request a Swedish Massage:
1. You have poor circulation, and you wish to improve it. The long, gentle strokes help to open circulation and increase blood flow to the extremities.
2. You are stressed about work or home life. Swedish massage is intended for relaxation and comfort, and will help to relieve stressors that affect you on a daily basis.
3. You have sensitive skin. Swedish massage is very gentle, and will not abrade the skin or the muscles. It is not intended to "work out" kinks and knots, but to soothe them.
Reasons to request Deep Tissue Massage:
1. You experience chronic pain in a particular muscle group. This usually means that the muscles are over-compensating, and Deep Tissue massage can serve to overcome that.
2. You are consistently involved in heavy physical activity. Deep Tissue massage is designed to relieve tension and aches in muscles that might be overworked or strained.
3. You have sustained prior injuries that are still bothering you. Deep Tissue massage will help to promote the mending of those muscles and to work out any kinks or knots that have formed as a result of that injury.