Toy Tips from Marianne Szymanski
Marianne Szymanski Dec 13, 2013
- View toys as learning tools building life skills.
- Allow children to identify their own strengths with self-discovery toys. Toys that they play with alone such as science activity kits, magic kits and dolls help teach important lessons about responsibility values and respect for others.
- Encourage cooperation with friends and peers with relationship toys. Team communication skills are improved with sports toys and board games.
- Strengthen language skills and stimulate listening, speaking and imitation sounds with speech and hearing toys. Musical toys and phonics based learning aids and voice command reading books are good examples.
- Improve hand eye coordination with fine motor activities that require hand movements such as grasping and pinching. Smart toy choices include stacking games, puzzles, writing and coloring books and activities.
- Encourage spatial relations and teaching children about their own surroundings through textures, tastes, smells and sight with sensory activity toys.
- Develop balance and exercise gross motor skills with toys that allow children to crawl, run, throw and climb. Look for age and skill appropriate ride-on toys that are kid-powered and climbing structures that encourage activities to use large muscle groups.
- Encourage independent thinking with toys that promote concentration, competition and deductive reasoning. Thinking and logic toys include spy toys, ant farms, construction sets and memory games.
- Increase confidence with toys that build on self esteem. Art projects and craft kits, model-building and construction toys, creative puppetry and movie-themed toys that encourage appropriate pretend play.
- Build social skills and encourage interaction and togetherness with family interaction toys. Dress up clothes, board games, sports activities and battery-controlled car races.
Founder and Publisher
Toy Tips, Inc.
3611 Jerelin Drive
Franklin, WI 53132
Share your thoughts, leave a comment!
The Elements Way.®
Therapeutic, handcrafted, and personalized massage.
Our Studio Location
Hours of Operation
Mon - Sat 9am - 9pm
Sun 9am - 7pm